Friday, July 16, 2010

Someone Served Superman a Kryptonite Milkshake!

I expected the fatigue part of chemo to be incremental, kinda sneak up on me, but that hasn't been the case.  I'm not Superman, but I now feel like I've just drunk a Kryptonite Milkshake.

I used to take the stairs two at a time; now I'm waiting for the elevator (and lustfully eyeing the wheelchair).

I used to stride; now I stroll.

I used to LOVE this hot, humid weather; right now I can't get a good deep breath.

In short, my allegro has become an adagio.

My radiation tech and all the cancer survivors I know are telling me to listen to my body.  They are right (man, it kills me to say that!) and I have to slow down.  One person reminded me that at the molecular level, my body is fighting a war that I can't see (a war I need my body to win!).  The more resources I draw away to do things I think are important the more "aid and comfort" I'm giving the enemy.

So I'm going to shut down my PC, turn on the British Open and snooze (whether I like it or not).

To quote a REAL superman (whose life I've admired for years), "I SHALL RETURN!"


MacArthur coming ashore at Leyte.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bill
    Whellchairs aren't that bad. Sometimes peoplle are more sympathetic and give you a Starburst when you're in one. Plus you can learn to do wheelies in them when you're bored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear this, but it was expected. But, so very glad to hear you are listening!!! Enjoy your rest, and have an organic carrot smoothie with a raw asparagus snack - trust me - alkalining your body will help your immune cells strengthen and assist your fight in the cancer war!! Just hold your nose and swallow if it sounds horrible! You are lifted up in prayer every day!

    ReplyDelete